Mystara: The Journey...
Aidan "The Hero of Baldur's Gate" Riordan
Halfling Wielder of Wild Magic
“Taming the raging Storm within was no easy task. Until I switched to a stronger ale.”
Halflings are known for being amicable folk, but Aidan would beg to differ. From a young age he was prone to mood swings, which coupled with the burden of controlling the chaotic energies inside him, have given him a solemn disposition. This, together with his rather exotic appearance, meant that in a village of Hin it was always easy to pick him out from the crowd. A little too easy for his liking, hence his decision to leave said village.
So if you’re looking for that good old halfling cheer, look elsewhere. On the other hand, if it’s their fierce sense of loyalty and hatred of injustice you’re more interested in, you won’t be disappointed. While his experiences may have given him a less rosy outlook on life than his people are known for, they’ve ensured that halfling love of freedom runs as deep in his veins as the mysterious magicks that flow through his blood.
A Brief History
I could tell you that my village cast me out. I could whine about how I never asked for these powers. But I’ll save you the sob stories. The truth is I left The Five Shires of my own choice; I couldn’t stand all their smiling, happy faces. They had what I’d never have, peace.
So I left to find somewhere I belonged, but it turned out that a lot of people have a lot of different ideas on where a magic-using Halfling belongs. During my travels I met up with a group led by a mage who immediately recognized my ‘gift’, and offered to take me to someone who could show me how to harness it.
We traveled many weeks together, fought many battles, spent many a night drinking ourselves merry; and at the end he sold me to Glantrian slavers. “Well, I never said they’d show you how YOU could harness it”, he pointed out, as the slaver tossed him a purse full of gold and had me stuffed into a crate. Well, at least I was deemed a valuable commodity.
Funny; you spend most of your life feeling like a tinderbox that could go off at any second, and then the one time you actually need that to happen, nothing comes. After spending days locked up in that box, accidentally setting myself on fire would have been a mercy, but it seemed my captors had taken precautions against that.
Either way, whatever time I had conscious was mostly spent banging on the lid begging to be let free, or wishing I was unconscious. From what I could tell, the crate changed hands a few times, and after what seemed like years of being trapped in a space that felt small even more me, I awoke one day to the sound of voices outside, followed by a loud thud.
By that time, I’d learned that calling for help only resulted in someone shaking the crate and yelling for me to be silent; so I kept still, and tried to make out what was being said. They were arguing, and someone mentioned something about a hammer, and how they’d have no problem hitting someone else with it repeatedly.
Then I heard the sound of coughing and spluttering, people vomiting. Not just any people; I recognized Halfling voices. Someone was opening all the crates! I readied myself, heart pumping in my chest. Sure enough the lid burst open and glorious sunlight poured in. I immediately leaped out, unleashing what little energy I had left. There was a fizzle of lightning and flame; completely ineffective, but it provided the distraction I needed. I ran for the woods.
And so it was that I came to meet Gotryk & Co Fourhire. They told me later that I had managed to get about 10 feet before passing out; my severely weakened body unable to take the strain of expending even such a low amount of magical energy.
Gotryk Korrin, whom I later learned was the one to whom I owed my freedom, nursed me back to health and welcomed me into the company. After a long time traveling with them, I feel I’ve finally found what I set out to find in the first place, although I’ll be the first to admit there are days I make them wish they could stuff me back in the crate.
The Dragon Horn The ancient horn sounds again, though no one knows its whereabouts or purpose. It is said to summon dragons.
The Ten Towns of Icewind Dale Sir Istavel believes another ‘Chosen’ may have emerged in this region, as the winter has come earlier than usual.
The Lost Tiefling A Tieling member of the Arcane Brotherhood may know the location of the Dragon Horn, but he has gone missing in action.
The Floating Citadel We may know the location where this mysterious floating citadel was last sighted.
A Wyrmspeaker We may know the whereabouts of the one of the Dragon order’s elite wyrmspeakers
Mills’ Hammer Since the horn began sounding, Mills’ weapon has been guiding him towards…something
The Ice Witch The Ten Towns are being menaced by an ice witch, who may be the “Chosen” we have come to find
Icewind Dale – Session 1
- Kavah and Talisi disappeared from the ship, probably by using a teleportation scroll. Their intentions are unclear.
- Recruited some guides to take us through the mountains to the ten towns
- Guides betrayed us and we killed them
- Met traders Bjorn, Silverstream and Aldo
- Attacked by Sabertooths, helped Aldo save his wagon
- Attacked by yeti’s as we arrived in the town, they were being controlled by a witch
Icewind Dale – Session 2
- Apothecary asked us to get back his money from Slim, who was paid to protect his store
- Saw an adventurer (named Vaelish) promising the Speaker (their word for Mayor) he would ‘find the one she seeks’
- Speaker is named Duvessah Shane
- Duvessah Shane mentioned racketeering in town
- Met with sheriff named Markham Southwell
- Sheriff told us the barbarian (named Hengar) was accused of stealing by a merchant
- We found out the merchant (an old lady) had falsely accused the barbarian
- The old lady had a talisman of the winter goddess in her home
- The barbarian told us he came here to warn the town about a powerful ice maiden (we believe this is the Chosen we are looking for)
- Secured the barbarian’s release, he will take us to his king
- On the way, the barbarian tells us he has visited several towns looking for help
- Was attacked by a bear, turned it into a frog and threw it off a cliff
- We reach the barbarian’s tribe (known as Children of the Glacier)
- Hengar told us there are only four tribes remaining
- We find out what happened in Hengar’s absence: The Tribe of the Bear now worships the frost maiden, and their shaman wishes to align with her.
The Tribe of the Bear attacked the Tribe of the Elk and took off many of them to be sacrificed
Icewind Dale – Session 3
- We took a long rest in the tribe’s encampment
- Hengar introduced to some of his friends, including the tribe’s most accomplished tracker, named Fornal Hagbath
- Tribe tells us about ‘The Stranger’, a reclusive woman who has lived alone in the wilderness for around 30 years
- We join an expedition led by Fornal to rescue kidnapped tribesmen
- The tribesmen mentioned ‘Evermelt’, a sacred site for the tribes that they describe as an ‘oasis of warmth’
- Encountered a pack of wolves, killed them. May have been the ice witch testing us
- The wolves all had a six-pointed icicle tattoo, that Skyla determined were recent
- We reached Evermelt, where the Bear clan’s encampment is situated
- We launched an attack on the Bear clan, decimated them and killed their chieftain. We pushed through into the caves, killed the shaman and faced down the ice witch, who escaped along with her summoned dragon. We managed to rescue some of the captured tribesmen.
Icewind Dale – Session 4
- We had a stand-off with some surviving barbarians from clan of the bear, killed most of them
- Questioned the shaman, he mentioned “others” who serve his goddess Auriel
- We were brought before the king of the tribe of the elk
- Shaman told us that the witch is Sorin’s daughter, cast out of the tribe because she was shunned
- Shaman’s son fell in love with Sorin’s daughter
- We spoke with the hermit lady, who revealed she was from Mystara
- We visited the dwarven mines. There is a civil war going on there
- The Dwarves have split into two camps, one under Silverstream and one under Hammerstone. Hammerstone’s dwarves have been corrupted by the black steel
- The Dwarven mines are also under attack by undead controlled by a lich named Chrystal Tyrath